Friday, April 6, 2012

Ladies' Ice Show Costumes

And finally we have...the women's costumes

 from the Coram Deo 2012 Ice Show.


This dress was inspired from Liesl's dress in "The Sound of Music".
Using a pattern from this web site http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/patterns1.php ,  I made some  alterations to the dress that flatter a figure skater.

Here's what I did:

  • used crepe and chiffon, which added an extra flow and ease to the dress.
  •  shortened the dress by about a foot.
  •  excluded the top ribbon on the dress and just sewed on a bow.
  •  took out the puffy sleeve and made a draping / breezy sleeve with a lettuce hem.
  •  put in an invisible zipper.
  •  lined the yoke
  • changed the neck line shape from square to a rounded scoop
Here is a picture of just some of the material consumed by this project.
Shown here are 11 bolts of material and ribbon
.
Being a designer/seamstress for a project like this is so fun, especially when I get to see the finished product on someone. Here I am straitening out an outfit before "show time"!
 She's ready to roll!


Here is a sketch of the dress with my alterations.
 Excuse the scribbling, it's straight out of my design book.

I didn't end up following my sketch exactly, 
but I followed most of it.












THE ICE DANCERS
(or at least some of them)



3 comments:

  1. I just have to say how lovely and happy you look in these pictures! I would love to get together for another sister photo shoot. I've scouted several places up here in the wilds of Central Vermont, just waiting for you girls to schedule the date! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i just ordered the pattern for this dress off the Edelweiss website, and i seen your version on there as well, which i was really happy about since i am using it for my solo at Liesl in the ice show for my club. I am so glad you included your alterations as they will help, but i was wondering if you put a body suit or lining inside? thank you. -Keana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keana,
    I had a leotard and body sox tight set under the dress. It worked great! I also got some spandex shorts for underneath the dress. It was fun and very easy to skate in. The best to you on your show!
    ~Heatherose

    ReplyDelete